Happy Friday again, everyone! I love when we finally get to weekends. Weekends mean more time to cook good food because my husband is around to watch the kids. Or, sometimes it means cooking really simple stuff so we have more time to do any of a million other fun things TOGETHER as a family.
These breakfast burritos are perfect for that kind of meal. They take about 10 minutes from start to finish. I made them earlier this week when my husband was working late (because who wants to make a gourmet meal for toddlers?), and my boys gobbled them up. Like, they both ate TWO burritos each!
We’ve done breakfast burritos before, and they’ve liked them, but I wasn’t sure how they would feel about the spinach I added this time. They’re similar to the mini egg frittatas I’ve made before that my boys like, so I just wrapped the filling up in the burrito and hoped they wouldn’t notice the green flecks. Clearly, two burritos later, I had no cause to worry.
I also love that these burritos are super easy to customize. You can leave them plain, just as the recipe says, or add any more “Mexican” toppings you like…salsa, sour cream, tomatoes, avocado, peppers. The sky is the limit! So make them tomorrow for breakfast, or add them to your arsenal of “things to cook when I’m not feeling the Julia Child vibes.”
Ham & Spinach Breakfast Burrito
Note: I have experimented with all kinds of meat in these burritos: bacon, cooked crumbled sausage, diced deli ham, and–my favorite–leftover diced ham from Easter or Christmas (or whenever).
- 8 large eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2/3 cup spinach leaves, finely chopped (it will look like much less after you chop it)
- 4 ounces diced ham, or meat of choice (see note above)
- 3/4 cup cheddar cheese, divided
Optional toppings: salsa, tomatoes, avocado, sour cream, etc.
- Crack and scramble eggs in a medium-sized bowl. Mix in milk, salt, pepper, and spinach.
- Preheat a skillet to low, and pour in the egg mixture. Now, with a spoon or spatula, very gently stir the mixture. Continue lightly cooking over low heat until the eggs are just set.
- sprinkle the cheese and ham over the eggs and mix in, letting the cheese melt. (Optional: sometimes, I’ll scoot the eggs to one side of the pan and melt the cheese over the top while browning the ham on the other half of the pan. Once the ham is browned a little, mix everything together. It’s super yummy, and it takes very little extra effort.)
- Taste and adjust seasonings as desired.
- Serve immediately by spooning filling into flour tortillas (I like to warm mine for 15 seconds in the microwave first), adding desired toppings, and rolling up your burrito like a pro!
I regularly link up here.
looks darn tasty, Love breakfast burritos. Stopping by from #MommyMondayBlogHop
We love our breakfast burritos here in Arizona! Will have to try your recipe. Visiting from Made By You Monday.
I’ve done lots of different kinds of breakfast burritos, too. This one is just my favorite lately, especially because it’s healthier with the added spinach. Thanks for stopping by!
What a great way to sneak in those greens for your kids. My kids would go for it. These look super yummy!