Make learning the ABCs fun with these free printable alphabet flashcards. This set includes separate cards for uppercase and lowercase letters, giving you endless possibilities for how to learn with your child.
Note: This post contains affiliate links. When you buy something through a link on my site, I may earn a commission, at no cost to you. See my disclosure to learn more.
Last year, I was looking for ways to help my preschooler practice the alphabet. Specifically, I wanted to help him match upper and lowercase letters. I found lots of adorable printable flash cards online, however none of them were exactly what I was looking for.
So, as I often do when trying to teach my children, I decided I would just have to make what I was looking for. That’s how these alphabet flash cards were born. And since I got a little carried away in designing them, I thought I’d share them with all of you!
What I love about these alphabet flashcards:
- They are big (1/4 page). This makes them easy to read and easy for little hands to grab and manipulate.
- The uppercase and lowercase letters are on separate cards. There are lots of cute flash cards out there that have the upper and lowercase letters on the same card with adorable illustrations…which works really well for drilling, but it’s also pretty limiting when it comes to playing other hands-on learning games. By separating the upper and lowercase letters, it opens up a whole world of possibilities for learning the alphabet: matching games, go fish, and so much more.
- The font mimics the handwriting of the perfect kindergarten teacher. Seriously, I spent SOOO long hunting for the perfect font to use. I even redesigned the whole set after I had made the set the first time with a different font because I realized in practice that some of the letters were confusing. Thank you to Nicole from Rowdy in Room 300 for the awesome font I finally settled on!
How to make your flash cards last–let’s talk laminating:
I highly recommend laminating your flash cards to make them last longer. You can certainly use them without doing so, but paper only lasts so long in the hands of a toddler…if you know what I mean.
If you don’t have a laminator, I have to say, I think every mom needs one. They come in SO handy, especially if you are the type to do learning activities at home with your child (which you probably are, since you’re reading a blog post about DIY alphabet flash cards…just sayin’).
I have this Purple Cows Laminator, and it’s been working great for me for eight years and counting. I love it!
Are you ready to get your own FREE set of alphabet flash cards? Sign up below!
Once you have printed your flash cards, read on for the rest of the tutorial.
How to assemble your printable flash cards
- card stock paper
- laminator & pouches
- scissors or paper cutter (this is the one I have)
What to do:
- Download and print the free printable alphabet flashcards on white card stock paper. You could use plain paper, but they will be stiffer and more card-like if you use card stock.
- Cut out the flash cards (there are four per page). I used my paper cutter to keep the lines super straight, but you could use scissors in a pinch.
- Laminate four at a time. Make sure you leave space between the cards in the laminating pouch so you can cut them apart later.
Pro Tip: Put a dab of glue on the back of each card before setting it in place in the laminating pouch. This will help it stay in place as you feed it through the machine.
- Once cool, cut the laminated pages into flash cards. I like to round the corners so that there are no sharp points to poke anyone.
- Now you’re ready to play!
They take a little time to put together, but it’s a great, mindless activity to do while watching a show on Netflix (or whatever) in the evening. We’ve had our cards for over a year now and they are still holding up great!
Need help getting started with your new alphabet flashcards?
Check out this post: 23 Unconventional (and fun!) ways to learn with alphabet flashcards
Want more learning activities for preschoolers? Try these:
Great flashcards!!! So cute and attractive design!
Great cards! Thank you!!