This simple Mother’s Day gift would be a wonderful tradition to start. It’s inexpensive, yet meaningful, so any mom is sure to love it!
Note: This post includes affiliate links. See my disclosure to learn more.
A few years ago a friend of mine posted an idea on Facebook for a Mother’s Day tradition that I loved. It was simple, inexpensive, but meaningful. Right up my alley.
I subsequently emailed the idea to my husband and told him that I wanted to start this tradition in our family. He’s a wonderful man who knows a not-so-subtle hint when he sees it, and I was gifted a couple weeks later with my favorite Mother’s Day gift to date.
I can’t find the idea ANYWHERE online now, so I thought I’d share it with you today. It’s a great, simple Mother’s Day gift idea, perfect for any mom, but especially for moms who are early in their mothering journey:
A Mother’s Day Memory Binder
What it is:
Essentially, it’s just an almost-empty binder to begin with. My favorite man picked out this cute one all on his own (isn’t he snazzy?), but you can use a plain one, too. In fact, I’ve designed some FREE printable binder cover pages your favorite man can print out, should he feel so inclined. See the link at the bottom of this post.
It’s more than just a binder, though. It’s the beginning of a tradition of preserving my kids memories of their mother, and a measuring stick of how our family grows and changes each year. Inside the binder, my husband included a letter from himself to me with some of his favorite parenthood memories of the year, and he had each of the kids draw a picture for Mommy. He even traced their hands on the back of the picture so we can see their growth over time.
Now, he technically still gives me another gift, too, but this replaces the card. I have a hard time throwing away all those cute, sentimental cards, but–really–what am I supposed to DO with them all? By putting all that sentimentality into a binder, it gives me a place to preserve these memories in a simple and meaningful way. I LOVE it!
Supplies you’ll need (or rather, your husband will need):
- a binder (I’m diggin’ this floral one on Amazon, or a plain white one would work)
- sheet protector pages
- FREE printable binder cover page (see below for download link)
- your choice of memories…pictures, photos, letters, etc.
What to do–for Mom:
- Send Dad the link to this post and tell him that this is his not-so-subtle hint for what you would like for Mother’s Day instead of a card.
- Smile, and be glad your part of this project is only one step. 🙂
What to do–for Dad:
- Gather your supplies.
- Find a time when Mom is out of the house grocery shopping (or better yet, send her out to get a pedicure…just an idea…). Then, get the kids together.
- Make memories for Mom. Here are some ideas:
- Draw a picture for Mom. It can be a picture of something the child likes to do with mom, something Mom loves, a picture of Mom (these can be hilarious), or whatever else you can get your toddler to do.
- Write a note to Mom telling her a favorite memory, why you love Mom, etc. Younger kids can dictate their ideas and Dad can write them down.
- Make a photo collage of fave family photos from the year. You can make a really simple one for free at www.photocollage.com.
- Dad, don’t forget to write your own letter to Mom, too!
- Assemble your memories into your binder. Add your FREE printable cover page.
- Hide until Mother’s Day and have tissues handy for Mom.
That’s it! A simple tradition, but one that will help Mom feel appreciated and loved on her special day. Happy Mother’s Day!
Download your FREE PRINTABLE Mother’s Day binder cover page below.
There are two designs to choose from. Click on the text above the image or the image itself to open a printable PDF file. Enjoy!
Mother’s Day Memory Binder Cover Pages
DOWNLOAD the Floral Design
DOWNLOAD the Sunshine & Leaves Design
Love it? Pin it!
If you’re feeling REALLY ambitious, mommas, you can get a head start on Father’s Day with this simple idea:
Daddy’s Mailbox: a meaningful Father’s Day Gift
A memory binder is such a great idea! Love it!
Belle | One Awesome Momma
It’s so much better than having a bunch of cards lying around…or throwing them away. Thanks!
Ah these are such good ideas, thank you for sharing! You have the lovliest little blog here by the way, well done on all your hard work with it pretty lady! x
Thanks so much, Adele!
Such a cute idea and a great day to cut down on clutter!
Yes! I’m kind of in a minimalist stage right now and I’m enjoying all chances to cut down on clutter.
Hanna - Platforms and Pacifiers
I love this! My mother will be in town for Mother’s Day and I’m going to print one of these to give to her!
Great, Hanna! I hope she likes it.
Camesha | Mama Motivator
This is such a cute idea. And I already have that exact same binder – WIN! Now to send this to the hubs!
Thanks, Camesha. I hope he takes the hint. 🙂
Oh this would be so great to receive as a MD gift!!
Danielle @ A Sprinkle of Joy
Oh my goodness!! I love this so much!