Want a ridiculously easy outdoor play idea your kids will love? Make this quick and easy sidewalk chalk paint with just cornstarch, water, and food coloring!
If you’ve been around here long, you know that I LOVE a creative activity that takes almost no time to prep and then keeps kids busy for a LOOONG time.
This homemade sidewalk chalk paint ticks all the boxes for a perfect summer activity for kids:
- You only need a few pantry ingredients (cornstarch, water, and food coloring).
- It takes literally one minute to prep.
- It gets kids outside (which also means it’s easy to clean up).
- It encourages creativity.
Oh, and it’s a great activity for sitting and relaxing in the shade while you watch your kids play. So next time you’re feeling a little burned out, and the kids are going a bit crazy, try making sidewalk chalk paint!
Here’s the super simple recipe:
Sidewalk Chalk Paint
This easy recipe for sidewalk chalk requires only 3 ingredients, one minute to prep, and yields LOTS of creative fun outdoors!
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- Food coloring
- In a bowl, whisk together cornstarch and water until well combined. Make sure you don't have any clumps of cornstarch left on the bottom of the bowl.
- Fill each cup of a muffin tin about half full with some of the mixture.
- Add a few drops of food coloring to each cup to make various colors. Stir to combine.
- Grab some paintbrushes, take your sidewalk chalk paint outside, and get creative!
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q: Will sidewalk chalk paint stain cement?
A: Not in my experience. Just like sidewalk chalk, it will easily wash away with the hose or in the next rainstorm.
Q: Will sidewalk chalk paint ruin my kids’ clothes?
A: We haven’t had any issues with stained clothes, but I would recommend wearing older clothes just to be safe.
Q: What tools work best for painting?
A: Foam brushes or bigger paintbrushes tend to work best. My kids really like splatter painting. You could also use sponges, squirt bottles, or even spray bottles!
Q: How long will sidewalk chalk paint last?
A: I recommend making your sidewalk chalk right before you want to use it. When it’s left out for a while, the cornstarch will start to separate from the water and settle on the bottom of the muffin cup. If that happens, it’s not a big deal though. You can always just grab a spoon and mix it up again! I’ve never tried to store it long term. Since it only takes a minute to make, I’d rather just make a new batch whenever we want it.
Want more simple outdoor fun for kids? Try these ideas!
Leave a Reply